[Lazarus] Shell notifications

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 16:32:49 CEST 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 02:36 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I know it's the obvious way, but surely there is something more
>> elegant than having a thread which exists solely to transfer the
>> result of a select() to the main part of the app, and then repeats
>
> I suppose a thread is the only way to do this in a portable way.
>
> The cost of a thread is close to zero. It just blocks in the requests
> and does a single turn for any change.

[Noting also Henry's comment] I suppose that, at least for unix
platforms, you could have a single app-wide thread which selects on
designated handles and syncs a magic number to the foreground. The
tricky bit, which would merit attention from somebody who really knows
the native APIs, would be adding and removing handles on the fly.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk