[Lazarus] Timing of all compiler options on slow machines

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Aug 21 17:41:19 CEST 2013

On 8/21/2013 10:03, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>> then i started lazrus and went to Projects->Options->other... the window
>> that popped up says
>>
>>    Reading compiler options took: 00:14.125
>>
>> then i clicked on the [All options] button and the box that popped up says
>>
>>    Rendering compiler options GUI took: 00:00.157
>
> Quite amazing!
> I thought GUI rendering is always slower than running "fpc -h".
> I understand the reasons you explained for slow startup times of
> processes, but such a huge slowdown is too much.

it is pretty standard for this old AMD 2800+ system... at least for now, anyway...

> I am thinking now if this is only a sole exception and all other
> computers can run "fpc -h" in milliseconds.
> If there are other computers with the same problem then I must put the
> reading code into a thread.
> The thread would be started when options "Other" page is selected,
> just like now. Then it may be ready when user clicks the "All options"
> button, not adding any visible delay anywhere.

i think the thread thing would be the better way to go... we will never know
what may be going on on a user's machine... consider one that is swapping
excessively, for instance...

>> i don't know if it matters that i opened my thunderbird and started writing
>> this response before clicking OK on the first box once i accurately wrote
>> the reading compiler options line...
>
> It does not matter. The fpc process had run already at that point.

i was looking more at the rendering process possibly having been run and just
waiting to be displayed...

as another test: i just loaded task manager so i could watch memory usage...
with all my normal tasks loaded... ~499460M used
started lazarus... followed same path as before...
   reading compiler options: 18 and something seconds
   rendering: .172

memory consumption in the above was negligible... i ran it again thinking that
it would all be in the disk cache and thus load faster... lazarus loaded in less
than half the time it did previously but reading the options still took 18
seconds... memory consumption is sitting at ~535235 now... up slightly from the
499xxx figure above...

considering that this is a 2Ghz (2083mhz) machine, i'm not sure where to look,
really... PATA HD... defragged at least once a week...

maybe i'll try unloading avast and seeing what that gets me... i'm really loath
to unload the firewall but that, too, can be done... i guess i'll just pull the
network cable loose, first ;)