[Lazarus] Proposal for changing fpc version on the fly in the IDE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 19:47:55 CEST 2013

patspiper wrote:
> On 22/08/13 19:36, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>

>> I've never seen any suggestion that this breaks backwards
>> compatibility, and if it does it should probably be raised as a bug-
>> at least so that it can be documented properly. In any event, as long
>> as fpc (etc.) knows what version of backend it's using then later
>> versions should be able to emulate older ones: I don't think anybody'd
>> be fool enough to try the other way round :-)
>
> Would you trust using the fpc binary (not ppcxxx) and associated
> utilities of trunk for your production apps?

I have more than one computer :-)

Frankly though, I'm not sure /what/ I'd trust for production apps. I'd
be reluctant to use FPC _trunk and cautious about using _fixes, and I
think I'd have to say the same about Lazarus... which obviously
complicates things since in general there are always "must have"
features and fixes only in the bleeding-edge revision.

But that takes us back to the original point: I usually set up Lazarus
to invoke ppcXXX.x.y.z rather than the fpc wrapper, at which point I'm
not sure which of the utilities in /usr/local/bin are at all relevant.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk