[Lazarus] Query re Bug: Box ASCII graphics characters don't display properly in DOS-command prompt window

A. Saluk absaluk at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 11:08:52 CET 2013

Just querying to see if this bug I've discovered has already been dealt with before I report it.

(I'm new to this sort of thing so my apologies if I'm going about it the wrong way.)

The Bug:  When running a FreePascal executable, when it uses ASCII character set box-drawing characters (ASCII values 176 thru 223) for on-screen display, sometimes these characters display properly, as box characters.  Other times they display wrongly, as linguistic symbols.  The problem manifests when on my computer the DOS-command prompt window link settings are such that the display font is set to Lucinda Console; here linguistic symbols appear.  If, however, the display font for the DOS-command prompt window is set to Raster Fonts, the proper box characters will show.

My OS is Windows 7 Home premium edition, service pack 1, 64-bit.  My computer is a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop.

The problem happens to me on FreePascal with or without Lazarus.

My Lazarus Version #: 1.0.14.  Date 2013-11-16  FPC version 2.6.2   SVN revision 43446   i386-Win32-win32/win64

My FreePascal without Lazarus is:  FreePascal IDE for Win 32 for i386.  Target CPU i386. Version 1.0.10 2008/08/03 (Compiler version 2.2.2) (Debugger GDB 6.2.1) Copyright (C) 1998-2008