[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Dec 1 10:29:05 CET 2013

Dmitry Boyarintsev schrieb:

> LCL is not going to be network based, for one simple reason - it
> technically cannot - too much is bound to low lever WinAPI-like functions.

I'd say that the problem resides in the adaptation of the (given) VCL
interface to multiple widgetsets. Some widgetsets fit better into this
model than others do.

We could try something like Borland tried to achieve with CLX, and
construct an subset of the LCL functionality that makes less assumptions
about window/layout managers and built-in functionality of the basic
controls. Unfortunately it's not sufficient to simply *not use* features
not available in a certain (HTML...) widgetset, as long as the LCL
controls use (and consequently rely on) such features internally. One
solution could try to "outsource" specific features, i.e. move them into
dedicated classes which can be overridden as suitable for every
supported widgetset. This would allow to fully disregard properties or
other programmatical requests internally (in the dumb base classes),
without causing consequential errors. But it looks impossible to me, to
separate all problematic functionality from the existing LCL. A complete
refactoring would be required (too complicated), or a restart from point
zero (who would be interested in doing that?).

DoDi