[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Dec 2 09:16:51 CET 2013

On 11/30/2013 09:08 AM, Martin Schreiber wrote: ...

If course I do remember very well, how ifi works. For me, it is a really
great idea to decently physically separate the "business logic" from the
GUI without completely loosing the "RAD" features Delphi, Lazarus and
mseGUI provide. At best you could develop the program with a local GUI
and then set a switch to compile it as an ifi Server.

Regarding the OP's question:

I suppose regarding ifi "socket" includes "WebSockets". So the server
site seems to be in place.

As the "ifi" byte stream is well defined, it should be possible to do
the server and the client in different languages/environments. Thus as a
client "Browser plugin" you could do a pascal program, which seemingly
would be rather easy to do, but would need installing it at the client
site, which in some environments (we did get burnt :( ) is impossible
due to IT guide lines (aka incompetence).

Thus other ways could be considered:
  - compiling the pascal code with Delphi Prism to a CIL plugin and use
Silverlight / Moonlight to run it in the browser sandbox.
  - re-implement the client site of the library in java script.

-Michael