[Lazarus] Application Information

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Dec 26 09:26:06 CET 2013

Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 25/12/2013 20:16, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> On 23/12/2013 20:13, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> Cross-platform; see
>>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/fcl-res
>>> there's file version code in fcl-res as well.
>> I don't think there's a well-named Wiki page for this, which is a bit of
>> an FAQ. As an interim measure, should I add an "Other platforms" section
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Mac_Show_Application_Title,_Version,_and_Company
>> with the links that people have just contributed?
>>

> 1. Good idea to post the links on the wiki, thanks, but:
> 2. Why not just create a page called File Version Information (or a much
> better name, sorry, no coffee yet), and link to that? That'll at least
> get it out of the OSX sphere...

I don't pretend to understand all the cross-platform issues and I was
trying to avoid work :-)

OK, I'll do a very basic page "Show Application Title, Version, and
Company" i.e. similar to the existing one that somebody's filled with
code- I don't want to mess around with that until we know where it came
from.

Somebody was asking about getting version info into the final (i.e.
executable) filename. I've put date info into filenames on Linux using
Compilation -> Execute After -> Command (with mv, `date` and so on) but
if access to the IDE-generated version info is now settling down
presumably it wouldn't be too difficult to read it out as the final
stage of the build process- even if this takes a separate 'brand' program.

I suppose the next question is going to be how to sign an executable so
that collaborating programs can check each others' authenticity. I
believe that ELF doesn't have provision in the header for anything like
that, but presumably it could be stuck into the resource info e.g. in
the FileDescription field.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk