[Lazarus] Beyond Compare 4 built with Lazarus 1.2

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 09:18:20 CET 2013

On Friday 27 December 2013 21:10:39 Marcos Douglas wrote:

> Resume:
> MSElang do no allow to cancatenate different string types (must be
> explicitely converted)

Correct.

> and the RTL does not will use string8.

Wrong. MSElang RTL suports string8 (utf-8), string16, (utf-16), string32
(UCS4) without preference. Additionally there is bytestring for any 8-bit
encoding or binary data. Please remember, MSElang RTL is the bare minimum,
file API for example must be implemented in the frameworks.

> So if I want to use Lazarus (LCL) with MSElang I will continue to have
> the need to convert all call from/to MSElang RTL because they have
> different encode. Is that right?

No. You will use LCL as before. LCL implements the needed functions (file API
for example) optimized for Lazarus purpose. As people who like to use MSEgui
will use MSEgui functions which are optimized for use in MSEgui framework and
fpGUI users probably can use a subset of LCL because fpGUI and Lazarus both
use utf-8 and try to be mainstream compatible. It is possible that the
framework developers work together in order to build commonly used base units
and classes. It makes compiler and RTL-framework development somewhat
independent.
The close coupling of compiler and framework is necessary for a commercial
software producer in order to optimize profit, opensource development does
not need it. It is not necessary that the compiler and its environment
dictate how the frameworks must be implemented.

Martin