[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 28 12:41:31 CET 2013

Am 28.12.2013 11:01, schrieb Marcos Douglas:
>> incompatibilities Free Pascal might have with Delphi. The language still
>> stays a lot more similar than the alternative. Yet, looking at the
>> current employment market, it seems most companies opted to rewrite
>> there Delphi projects in C# and Java - so they took the even harder
>> route! Why? Probably due to more innovation happing in those other
>> languages.

I'am pretty sure this is not the case. It is a story of “No one ever got
fired for buying IBM.”

> "...most companies opted to rewrite there Delphi projects in C# and Java..."
>
> I agree. I see this here in Brazil too.
> So, if the companies prefer to rewrite everything to another language,
> this is another prove that people do not want compatibility with
> Delphi (so much).

And you think they would switch instead to some marginal OSS language
which is compatible to nothing and nobody knows? C# and Java are used
because they provide a huge user base (user in the sense of programmers
knowing it) and being developed by huge companies so people expect their
code base has a future.