[Lazarus] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 28 16:31:07 CET 2013

On 28.12.2013 14:25, Marcos Douglas wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Florian Klämpfl
> <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The question is:
>>> Why did they use Delphi before at all?
>>>
>>> If the reason was that Delphi was a very common and widespread
>>> programming environment
>>> then it is a understandable behaviour to move to the next main stream
>>> environment
>>> as soon as budget and time allows.
>>> Such people would never care about FPC/Lazarus (even when it was fully
>>> Delphi "compatible").
>>> They would never think about using it.
>>> So making FPC/Lazarus "compatible" would not hold any user of this group.
>>
>> The world is not only 1 and 0. FPC lives (and living means getting
>> usefull code!) from being delphi compatible but filling the niches
>> delphi leaves open. Everything else is "by-catch".
>>

>>> If the reason was that they like Pascal as an easy to learn and
>>> mantain language then they will invest into migration even
>>> if not all parts are the identical to Delphi.
>>> Just the opposite:
>>> They may like that not all misconcepts are repeated in
>>> FPC/Lazarus and they may like that it is open source.
>>
>> GPC proved your argumentation wrong. GPC took the "clean way" of
>> extended pascal (you always complain about fpc's dyn. arrays. Just use
>> GPC, it has the clean solution) Unfortuntaly GPC development stopped for
>> years due to missing contributors.  The people keeping FPC alive are
>> those interested in Delphi compatibility.
>
> Right.
> I didn't understand one thing: If I'm a Delphi XE2 programmer
> (suppose), why I will need to keep FPC compatible with Delphi? If I'm
> a Delphi programmer I will use... Delphi.

Because you (the XE2 programmer) might look at Delphi XE5's NewGen
compiler (the LLVM based one) and think: "What the f*** are they doing
with the language?! O.o"
Or you might want to be compatible to more platforms than provided by
Delphi XE2 or you might want to keep using a VCL compatible GUI library
on other platforms whereby in Delphi you need to use FireMonkey here.

Regards,
Sven