[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 21:41:01 CET 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Marius <fpclazarus at home.nl> wrote:
> Flávio Etrusco wrote:
>
>>> Yes, but we all know you are a special case :-)
>>>
>>> Point is if you make conversion harder PEOPLE WILL NOT EVEN TRY!
>>
>>I tend to agree with Graeme on this one.
>>
>>-Flávio
>
> My opinion as well, and its already hard at this moment as generics and
> string/utf8 are the first problems people will encounter while moving
> XE* code to FPC.

Oops, I misquoted.
Graeme actually replied to that opinion with this:
"Converting to Free Pascal and Lazarus will *always* be easier that
rewriting everything in C# or Java - no matter how many
incompatibilities Free Pascal might have with Delphi. The language still
stays a lot more similar than the alternative. Yet, looking at the
current employment market, it seems most companies opted to rewrite
there Delphi projects in C# and Java - so they took the even harder
route! Why? Probably due to more innovation happing in those other
languages."

IOW I think that for some years already, innovation would be a much
better selling point for Free Pascal rather than Delphi compatibility.

-Flávio