[Lazarus] Problem with zeos and sqlite-3

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 16 13:58:24 CET 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 16.02.2013 13:28 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:
> >> Furthermore, SQLite makes a good partner for FreePascal and Lazarus,
> >> so you should not discourage people here from using it.
> >

> > I strongly disagree it is a good partner.
> >
> > Object Pascal is a strongly typed language:
> > FPC database code expects an integer in a column declared as integer.
> >
> > So if sqlite does not ensure this, it is a bad partner for Object Pascal.
> >
> > A good partner is Firebird or Postgres: real databases with stable apis.
> >
> > I will never stop discouraging people from what I think is very bad software.
> > And I consider sqlite very bad for the reasons outlined above.
>
> But unlike Firebird and PostgreSQL one can rather simply port SQLite to a new platform. And I also like the idea of virtual
> tables. So in that sense the ZMSQL you posted might be a compareable alternative if now one only adds support for virtual
> tables, adds some other nice features like triggers (or do they exist already?) and improves the performance :D

Well, as far as I know : ZMSQL are always virtual tables. You have triggers: all TDataset events.

And I never denied the ease of use of sqlite.
I just don't think it is a database in the RDBMs sense of the word.

It remains for me at the level of TIniFile or TXMLDocument.

And looking at how it's commonly used: mostly it seems to
be config settings or key/value pairs and I don't think you need SQL for those.

Michael.