[Lazarus] Problems with Lazarus

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:17:19 CET 2013

On 19.02.2013 09:17, Johann Spies wrote:
> My endeavour to return to Pascal is getting to the point of frustration:
>
> 1.  Although I found that sometimes I have to tell Lazarus to scan the
> fpcsource to be able to find installed units, it still happens that from
> time to time I cannot compile something because a unit cannot be found.
>
> Today it is "/Can't find unit AvgLvlTree ... check if package LazUtils
> is in the dependencies"

Did you do what the message told you and added LazUtils (or
alternatively LCL if you want to develop GUI applications) to the
dependencies? To do this go to Project => Project Inspector => + =>
Dependency => "select LazUtils / LCL from combobox" => OK

> 2.  My second problem is not that serious but Lazarus as an editor is extremely slow.  It reminds me of the reason why I do not use Eclipse for other projects and normally prefer Emacs or Vim.  Unfortunately the fpc-ide is not debug-enabled and I do not know how to enable it. I have recompiled the sources and according to what I understand of the configuration in the sources debug should be enabled.

 From my experience Lazarus is much faster than Eclipse (especially on
my less powerful computer). Also the features Lazarus provides
(integrated debugging, refactoring, code completion) are much more
powerful than what emacs and vim provide.

Regards,
Sven