[Lazarus] Ide add-ons licensing issue

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Feb 23 21:35:37 CET 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:45:20PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:

> The problem of the original poster are IDE design time packages, not
> extra programs. Thus it's about linking and there I agree with Martin
> (though I'm no lawyer either...).

Me too. GPL is a linking distribution license. Products from GPL programs
are not automatically GPLed.

So designtime lazarus packages are only subject to GPL when distributed in
linked form. (against the GPL part, Lazarus).

See also

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/licensing#MPL_issues_relating_to_Lazarus

MPL is here used as GPL incompatible license, but of course that could be
read as "commercial" too.

Note that the language is a bit weasely becuase at the time I was not
very sure about this.