[Lazarus] IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 11:05:01 CET 2013

On 01/22/13 08:09, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> From a support POV, I'm bothered that there's something
> unpleasant lurking: number or speed of CPUs, type of graphics card,
> amount or type of memory (testable on x86 using a MemTest CD).

The hardware I'm running on now is very new - 4 months old. It was a
whole new system. Intel i7-3770k at 3.5Ghz with 16GB high end non-ECC
RAM. 3x2TB HDD's in RAIDZ1 (ZFS filesystem) for data storage, 128GB SSD
boot disk, 850W PSU etc.

I did thorough tests of my hardware, and there doesn't seem to be any
problems. Also, all other software run fine - just not Lazarus. Also the
Windows copy that does run fine, runs in a VM session. So if it was
faulty memory or some other hardware failure (very unlikely), that VM
should be affected too. My current OS (FreeBSD 9.1) is rock solid though
- no other software issues.

I suspect the issue might be related to LCL-GTK2, because often the same
checkout of Lazarus runs way better under Windows than under Linux. I
always try and keep FPC and Lazarus versions in sync, across all my
development VM's. I never compile Lazarus with LCL-Qt, but maybe it is
time I try. The one major downside of switching to LCL-QT would mean I
can't have horizontal file tabs to the right of my editor. But if LCL-QT
solves the problems I experience, then the right positioned tab issue is
something I can live with.

Regards,
  - Graeme -