[Lazarus] IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 14:23:41 CET 2013

On 01/22/13 10:38, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> apps looking weird over remote or VNC connections, but at the very least
> this should isolate you from potential problems caused by your local X
> subsystem.

That is exactly why I setup a Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS VM session. Ubuntu
10.04 was a very stable system for me. Back in the day when Ubuntu 10.04
came out, I ran that as my host OS, and Lazarus at the time run pretty
nice - as far as I can remember. So the X subsystem from that Ubuntu
worked pretty well.

I gave up on Ubuntu since they moved to Unity. So I have tried Mint and
OpenSUSE - the latter being pretty nice, except for KDE4 (I'm not a
fan). So no matter what system I now run, I always use JWM (a good
no-frills X11 window manager).

Almost two month ago, I moved to FreeBSD as my host OS. All development
environments were moved into different VM's. So I don't do any
development work in my host OS any more. So I'm now running the same
Linux (in a VM) as I did in 2010. The only difference now, is that I
have a much newer Lazarus installed.

> ** By non-root, I mean VNC running as a completely separate X server.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try. But first I'll switch
to LCL-Qt and see how that goes over the next couple of days.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/