[Lazarus] [fpc-pascal] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 12 09:18:40 CEST 2013

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, vfclists . wrote:

> Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?
>
> I think they should. One for the design itself and one for describing the usage at design or runtime.

No.
It takes memory and needs management. Putting this in a basic class such as TComponent is not an option.
Your suggestion to 'not store it in the final executable' is not even remotely possible.

You can put a comment in front of the object or any of its properties, and the lazarus
IDE will display this comment for you.

It does not take memory, and performs the same function. The only reason the smalltalk people didn't
take that approach, I suppose, is because they don't have an intelligent IDE.

Michael.