[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jul 13 16:06:43 CEST 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Elsewhere, somebody's posted this:
>
> "But we already own Delphi XE2. My understanding is that Lazarus is still
> clunky compared with Delf at basic IDE-and-forms stuff; Lazarus doesn't
> support key familiar libraries that we rely on to slap together the basic
> elements (Jedi, Virtual Treeview, <cough> Quickreport...), so Laz's
> connectivity to MySQL doesn't really enter into the equation."
>
> Can anybody comment on the extent to which this is still fair comment, so
> that I can feed *accurate* facts back?

- Virtual Treeview is supported AFAIK.
- Jedi code library is very tied to Windows (and Delphi, for that matter).
   Much of the code will probably work (on Windows) but I'd expect a rough transition.
- Quickreport can be replaced with Lazreport, or even FastReport when using Qt.

But I would not spend time trying to convince people who are not willing to
use a different toolset (cfr. "Key familiar libraries"). It is an unthankful
task.

Michael.