[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 11:11:42 CEST 2013

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>
>>> It's not a bug, it's a feature: MySQL accepts data other DBs wouldn't
>>> touch with a 10 foot pole ;)
>>> (Don't ask about it proceeding and mangling that data - that's beside
>>> the point ;) )
>>
>> If it really is so bad, why have so many developers- in particularly
>> web developers- clasped it to their bosom?
>
> Simple: laziness.
True.

> I seriously doubt any bank would consider using MySQL for their
> financial data.
Much better to shell out the big bucks to the likes of IBM and Oracle so
you can always say to your PHB that you're covered by a support contract
and a gold-plated company ;)

> For the cookies of their website: no problem. But not the actual account
> information. Imagine their horror when the database decided to round all
> numbers up for no apparent reason :)

Well, it depends. As indicated in the thread, if you configure mysql
well, it starts to behave a bit more RDBMS-like.
If you are disciplined writing programs that access it (or let e.g. an
ORM like Hibernate do the discipline for you), you could use MySQL as well.
The % of applications living up to that are probably not that big but
they're probably there.

That said, with Oracle's recent shenanigans, I'd think PostgreSQL
popularity should surely be rising.