[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 11:40:03 CEST 2013

Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> There's lots of whacky code out there that still is used in production,
> and patched endlessly whenever the next error pops up. Doesn't mean it's
> a good idea to go down that path.
>
> That said, I agree about the configuring+ranting part, but I'm not sure
> to what level of strictness you can actually configure MySQL. And I'm
> not interested enough to find out - Firebird suits me just fine.

I think an important point is that MySQL was freely-available long
before Firebird. I looked at it in around 2000 when working on a demo to
show a corporate, and rejected it because (a) it didn't have
transactions and (b) I didn't fancy telling their DP department, who ran
either Oracle or DB2 on a mainframe, that I was using something with
such a tacky name.

PostgreSQL has done fine for us since then, and my recent experiences
getting Firebird to the state where a program could create/destroy users
etc. makes me wonder how much of Postgres's reputation for being
difficult to configure is undeserved.

Whatever, this isn't the place for a database war. The important point
was that I was able to point out to the OP (elsewhere) that Lazarus/FPC
had database support that his version/variant of Delphi lacked.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk