[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jul 17 13:23:03 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:40:03AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> > to what level of strictness you can actually configure MySQL. And I'm
> > not interested enough to find out - Firebird suits me just fine.
>
> I think an important point is that MySQL was freely-available long
> before Firebird. I looked at it in around 2000 when working on a demo to
> show a corporate, and rejected it because (a) it didn't have
> transactions and (b) I didn't fancy telling their DP department, who ran
> either Oracle or DB2 on a mainframe, that I was using something with
> such a tacky name.

I looked circa late 2003-2005 timeframe, and while firebird was free then,
it was not portable yet, and my "always on" server machines were PPC macs
with linux or netbsd.

> PostgreSQL has done fine for us since then

.. so that is how I ended up with PostgreSQL too.  Mysql was pre 5 and
missed a lot of stuff, and I had seen the incompatibilities of the client
lib time and time again, so it was disqualified.

But Henry has a point. At a certain point one needs to revisit prejudices
from the past (<5).  Yes the defaults reflect its origins as a dumb store,
but IMHO that is not enough reason to disqualify a RDBMS outright IMHO.