[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

vfclists . vfclists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 23:55:13 CEST 2013

On 18 July 2013 14:46, Paulo Costa <paco.mail.telepac.pt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/07/2013 14:31, Kenneth Cochran wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Reimar Grabowski <reimgrab at web.de
>> <mailto:reimgrab at web.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:17:29 +0200
>>     Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:reinierolislagers@**gmail.com <reinierolislagers at gmail.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>      > Regardless, I don't think prolonging this thread is very useful.
>>     +1
>>

>> I invoke Godwin's law.
>>
>> You're all a bunch of Hilter lovin' Nazis.
>>
>> There, that should kill the thread.
>>

> Unfortunately, no...
>
> From wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Godwin%27s_law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law>
>
> "It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with
> the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized corollary
> that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's law will be
> unsuccessful.[8]"
>
> I apologize for going so much off topic,
>
> Paulo Costa
>

> --

There is nothing particularly "wrong" with MySQL. Together with its partner
in crime PHP they were hacks their developers put together to make things
easy for their developers and they caught on quickly in the early days of
the web. They just outgrew their intended usage ("good enough") and once
their installed base grew it became difficult and expensive to enforce
compliance without breaking existing applications.
When you know that MySQL was developed from an even earlier "toy" database
called msql you will understand.

Just Google some of the debates surrounding them in their early days when
Monty Widenius or( was it David  Axmark) said something like ACID
compliance was not necessary in an RDBMS or MySQL was ACID compliant or
some other such tripe to understand why MySQL is the way it is. At that
time PostgreSQL was at the 6.5 or so level and MySQL ran rings round it in
ease of installability and performance. You just  had to copy the files
from one place to another and off you went. Try doing that with PostgreSQL.
MySQL also worked very well with Windows which was a bonus. It just
couldn't be beaten for ease of deployment.

Consider that most of the other database cost a bomb in licensing and you
can see why MySQL became so popular. It was such a doddle to use. Compare
MySQL's command line tools to those of PostgreSQL or Firebird's command
line tools and you will see why MySQL became so popular. Did I mention the
licensing issue?

--
Frank Church