[Lazarus] New competition for Lazarus

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jun 1 13:09:49 CEST 2013

Reinier Olislagers wrote:

>> the project is not even GPL or other open source licenses.
>> They don't do it for science, just for money:
>> http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/wiki/84-wiki/codetyphon-studio/72-codetyphon-about
>
>>From that page:
> "This Project is licensed as: Freeware."
> also, as mentioned before, the IDE is GPL so it doesn't matter what they
> put on their site, it will remain GPL.

I'm not saying I don't trust them, but I noticed the "Freeware"
designation and was slightly uneasy. Apart from anything else my own
feeling is that while they might say that it's /distributed/ as freeware
they should still say that the /license/ is GPL etc. since that
propagates to derivatives.

On the other hand they do prominently say that it's a derivative of
Lazarus. I suggest that somebody prints the page that does that and gets
it notarised, don't rely on being able to get a copy in the future from
archive.org since in some jurisdictions that's considered "hearsay" and
isn't admissible evidence.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk