[Lazarus] INVALID_* consts

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Jun 3 19:32:56 CEST 2013

On 6/3/2013 13:12, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 05:00:46AM -0400, waldo kitty wrote:
>> why does this constant not exist in FPC or Lazarus?
>
>> have i been looking in the
>> wrong place or for the wrong thing?
>
> C:\repo\fpc\rtl\win\wininc>grep INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE *
> defines.inc:     INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE = HANDLE(-1);

yes, that stems from windows.pp IIRC...

so why is that one different from the one in LCLType?

i was actually looking for INVALID_FILE_SIZE which i finally ended up defining as

   const
     INVALID_FILE_SIZE = DWORD($FFFFFFFF);

but i shouldn't have to do that if it were defined in LCLType with
INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE??

the problem, and i guess i should have been more clear in my original post, is
that the code i'm working with is converted from delphi to lazarus... as such,
things like

   uses windows;

are replaced with

   uses LCLIntf, LCLType, LMessages;

this is important when one is wanting to convert a project to other platforms...
it is very painful when one has never done delphi or winwhatever coding of any
kind and is getting hit with winwhatever specific vars, consts, records and
routines and has to spend hours hunting them down and trying to figure out how
to replace or duplicate them :/