[Lazarus] New compiler options page "Additions and Overrides"

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 15:20:02 CEST 2013

On 07/06/13 16:00, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:54:19 +0300
> patspiper <patspiper at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>> Now concerning the practical usage:
>>> I have build modes for Linux and Win32 defined as project defaults. At
>>> times I even add modes for other platforms. The build modes toolbar
>>> button provides a quick way to switch the target platform.
>>> Now the obvious way of integrating debug/release additions is to
>>> double the build modes so that the quick selector is still used. Is
>>> there some better way that allows the debug/release additions to be
>>> independent so that the build modes are not doubled while still having
>>> a quick switch selector (like an independent debug/release selector)?
>> Thinking about it, one simple way to provide for that would be to add a
>> conditional dropdown list to each option line (any, debug, release),
> What is the difference to
> Any = check all
> debug = check only debug
> release = check only release
> ?
To switch between build modes, I don't go to compiler options. I just
use the selector toolbar button next to the run button and select the
build mode, which is extremely convenient.

My suggestion is to add another quick selector toolbar button in the IDE
toolbar that allows the selection of debug or release. At the same time,
every option line in the additions page would have a debug/release/any
dropdown list that indicates whether this option line is applied or not,
based on the debug/release selector toolbar button. If the option is
marked debug, it will be applied to the build mode (provided it is
checked for that build mode) if the toolbar debug/release selector is
set to debug. The same applies to release. Any means that it disregards
the debug/release selector. In other words, the combination of the
current checkboxes and the debug/release/any dropdown list dictate
whether that option will be used or not.

Let's say I select Linux build mode and 'debug' using the 2 quick
selectors in the IDE toolbar, then only the options checked for the
Linux build mode and having the dropdown list set to 'debug' or 'any'
take effect. Changing the debug/release selector to release will apply
only the options checked for the Linux build mode and having the
dropdown list set to 'release' or 'any'.

Stephano