[Lazarus] New compiler options page "Additions and Overrides"

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Sat Jun 8 13:55:38 CEST 2013

On 08/06/2013 10:45, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 10:49:50 +0200 (CEST)

> Some new features for experts were needed and there were
> several possibilities to implement them. With the 'old' interface
> approach several pages would have been needed. That would have been
> awkward for the experts and more confusing for the normals. With the
> grid, a lot of expert features were combined in a single expert page.
> In a normal application I would have marked it 'expert options'. But
> since all programmers tend to think of themselves as experts, that would
> achieve nothing.
>
> In short words:
> A single expert page is hopefully less confusing (aggressive).

> What about a checkbox to hide the build mode options or maybe 'Show
> advanced features'?
> That checkbox itself would of course be disabled, when the
> project uses advanced features.

An 'Advanced' (or 'Show advanced features') button/checkbox would be
very helpful, since it gives a hint of increasing complexity and "here
be dragons" without the melodrama that Mozilla arouses with that phrase
before you enter their advanced settings.
As you imply, 'Expert options' is unhelpful, since the description of
the option(s) should relate to the level of difficulty of the option(s)
rather than the capability of the user.

Howard