[Lazarus] New compiler options page "Additions and Overrides"

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jun 8 16:00:10 CEST 2013

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> One idea was to show the advanced settings only when 1 build modes
>> are defined.
>> It is not practical because the plan is to have Debug and Release
>> modes by default. They are useful for anyone.
>
> I doubt that. See Michael's, Dodi's and my mails.

Indeed.

Allow me to use some capitalisation to make sure people understand :)

By default, there should be NO MODES WHATSOEVER.

The words 'build mode' SHOULD NOT EVEN APPEAR in the GUI by default.

It is a BAD IDEA to force even these 2 'debug and releas' build modes on
casual users. The 'useful for anyone' just IS NOT TRUE.

Hopefully it comes accross like this :-)

I understand that some developers want build modes, but that is a long
way from pushing this concept onto everyone, including people that have
absolutely no idea what a "build mode" is.

Heck, even the concept of building is confusing to a PHP programmer.

You may be surprised, but Lazarus can be quite intimidating to the new user
(and not because of it's name). Anything to make it less intimidating for
the beginner is good.
That includes completely hiding an 'Advanced' feature such as build modes.

Michael.