[Lazarus] New compiler options page "Additions and Overrides"

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Jun 8 16:12:39 CEST 2013

>> I doubt that. See Michael's, Dodi's and my mails.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Allow me to use some capitalisation to make sure people understand :)
>
> By default, there should be NO MODES WHATSOEVER.
>
> The words 'build mode' SHOULD NOT EVEN APPEAR in the GUI by default.
>
> It is a BAD IDEA to force even these 2 'debug and releas' build modes
> on casual users. The 'useful for anyone' just IS NOT TRUE.

> You may be surprised, but Lazarus can be quite intimidating to the new
> user (and not because of it's name). Anything to make it less
> intimidating for the beginner is good. That includes completely hiding
> an 'Advanced' feature such as build modes.

Ok, answers my other mail.
I agree, it should be easier for beginners.

Yet I disagree.

To make it easier to learn for beginners, it should not hid build modes.

It should hide almost *ALL* the other options. What does a beginner
care/know about smart-linking/optimization/debug-info ......

*INSTEAD* of all those options, there should just be "Build for debug" /
"Build for release".

Only the advanced user, then gets to see the rest.

> Heck, even the concept of building is confusing to a PHP programmer.
Yes, but php is (was, last time I checked) a scrip language). Ignoring
internal details (like compiling to byte code), the programmer does not
even know that something is "build"

Using a language, in which you do not build, does of coulse not go with
build modes ...

:)