[Lazarus] Unicode branch

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jun 13 13:26:30 CEST 2013

On 06/13/2013 11:51 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> The problem is not in the compiler. The problem is that IF your code
> assumes that WideString=UnicodeString
> then you will need to differentiate the 2 cases.

I suppose you are correct. But if I understand correctly what my Delphi
addicted colleagues state: Delphi-User use just "String" as their string
type, as they never learned to be careful about the code. Delphi is
assumed to be Windows only, and thus if a Unicode version of Delphi is
used (i.e. "UNICODE" is set) "String" is Unicode with UTF16 coding and
for non-Unicode Delphi (i.e. "UNICODE" is not set) "String" is 8 bit
ANSI code in the local language variant. If anybody uses "Widestring"
(not ref-counted in Delphi AFAIR) he should know what he does.

This is what Lazarus / fpc should not break (of course no problem to
have the user select an appropriate mode in the project setting).

-Michael