[Lazarus] Unicode branch

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jun 13 20:11:58 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:32:36AM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > ObjFPC was encountered) and I added the FPC_OS_UNICODE define.
>
> All the more reason not to try to emulate Delphi defines.

Why? We define "Windows" and "MSWindows" too?
Maybe not use "linux" because Kylix does ? :-)

> UNICODE
>
> The UNICODE define is simply superfluous.  Those that need it can do a
>
> {$IFDEF FPC_UNICODESTRINGS}
> {$DEFINE UNICODE}
> {$ENDIF}

Yes. And anybody wanting Delphi compatibility can just use {$mode objfpc}
and start subsituting.

I don't see a problem whatsoever defining a Delphi define in a delphi
compatibility mode.

> And they'll need defines anyway because widestring <> unicodestring on
> windows.

No. Since on Delphi those are different too. They don't need additional
defines for that.