[Lazarus] Beagle Bone

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jun 18 08:49:15 CEST 2013

On 06/17/2013 06:09 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> The 5.7 MB arm-linux zip is just an easy way to see FPC 2.6.2 work on
> the RPi or BB.
That of course is a great starter.

> I just wanted to add a link for others that might encounter this
> message thread in the future.  I think most full-time programmers will
> end up wanting to install a full development environment like Lazarus,
> but the "easy" zips let you avoid that until later.
Yep. Of course, the Lazarus IDE is the tool of choice for fpc programmers.

> In your original message you wrote: "The project I have in mind does
> not need to have a GUI (nor any Android binding)."
Yep. I would use Lazarus just as an IDE. Preferably running it on the PC
as a cross development tool. But regarding the rather high versatility
of the BBB (Beagle Bone "black", greatly advanced vs the white thingy),
it might be a good idea to run Lazarus on the target, too.

> I was the (main) TurboPower TPX person for AsyncPro for the last 5
> years TurboPower was in business (1998 - 2003),
GREAT! We (company) bought an AsyncPro license many years ago, and very
happily use it since then. I would be _delighted_to be able to using it
on Linux with Lazarus fpc. Especially with non-GUI Projects, which is
not that easy because of the reduced Thread communication support in the
LCL when no GUI binding is not selected.

In this and many other forums I found lots of requests for a decent
serial- and Socket- communication unit, that frees the application
programmer from the low level thread handling.

> But, no, I haven't ported it to Linux.  I'm using Synapse for that:
> www.CtrlTerm.com

I also use Synapse for this right now. But AsyncPro is a lot more
advanced, especially because of the automatic background threads it uses
and because of  the unified API for serial and socket handling.

Thus porting APO to Lazarus/Linux/noGUI would be a GGRREEAATT advantage
:-) .

Thanks,
-Michael