[Lazarus] Unicode branch

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 27 14:58:15 CEST 2013

Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 05:59:06PM +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>> Yeah, that change is going to be a nightmare to lots of existing code. I
>>> hope Delphi developers enjoy debugging!
>> I don't see any relationship to COM here. Java has managed objects, C++
>> has, .NET has, so why not OPL too?
>
> Java and C# don't count, as safe languages, they have _ONLY_ managed types.
> Their choices will be hard to backport.

Right. The idea sounds to me like the other half-baked attempts to
introduce anonymous methods, class helpers etc. into Pascal.

> As far as the C++ bit goes, that is all fairly new. Which part of the
> standard (and which standard) do you mean exactly, and which implementation?

All local C++ objects are destroyed when they go out of scope.

>> The management overhead is as low as for managed strings.
>
> Where did you get that information? It is easy to see that it is somewhat
> doubtful as string has copy-on-write properties in addition to ref-counting.

That's something different. While it's possible to copy strings
automatically, the same is impossible with more complex objects. At
least a copy-constructor were required for that purpose. Or more than
one, depending on the kind of the copy (deep/shallow...).

DoDi