[Lazarus] Contributions by Cyrax and better SVN commit info

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 27 22:22:41 CEST 2013

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>>>     *** Please all developers add the tracker issue number and name of the
>>>     patch author to a commit message when such info exists! ***
>
> Some years ago I did that, but then we had to change the license and there were
> some strange "copyright" laws in Germany and other countries.
> Basically, if you add a svn comment that a patch was from a person, you grant
> that person the right to veto all license issues and the right to withdraw his
> patch.

I cannot find such legal stuff nor license conditions.

> Some countries have a "fair use" clause that allows to ignore rights for
> small patches.

Patches are not self-contained work, and consequently are not protected
as such.

> Germany does not have a "fair use" clause, in fact, German has no word for
> "fair".
> So it is no problem to add a name to the contributors list, but it can be a
> problem to name someone for a specific patch.

I see no problems. The only question is about ownership of a software
project - is it the first contributor only, or all contributors
together? In practice it doesn't make any difference, because free
software licenses grant *everybody* the right to modify the software.
It's only polite to name the contributors, not an obligation.

DoDi