[Lazarus] How to send Email from Lazarus program under Linux x86-64

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Sun Mar 24 15:19:49 CET 2013

Hi All!

I am trying to implement a program that will send emails to (a subset
of) an application-specific roster.

I found numerous references to synapse so I downloaded the source which
includes a .lpk library (it is several years old).  When I tried to
compile it under Lazarus 1.1, fpc 2.6.2, the compiler could not find a
method called inet_addr.  I searched the synapse source code and it
showed numerous references to inet_addr, but no place where it was
defined for fpc.  I hacked the code so it used linux rather than fpc and
it failed while looking for unit libc, before ever getting to the
inet_addr declaration.  I looked for libc and found that it is obsolete
and does not seem to be available for 64-bit systems anyway.

Has anyone had success in using this library under Linux (x86-64)?

I also examined Indy (which I used successfully years ago on
Delphi/Borland c++ Builder) but it, too, is obsolete (latest updates
seem to be circa 2006) and comes with many, many warnings and caveats.

I found Mailpas (also from 2006) but I am having problems compiling the
library -- it says it can't find a file which really is there where it
is supposed to be.  -- During the long mailing list shutdown I found
that the compiler message about a non-existent include file was wrong.
The actual failure was that the include file "uses libc" which does not
exist on my system (same problem as with synapse).  I'll submit a bug
report as soon as I can.

Is there any other smtp and pop3 code available for Lazarus or will I
have to generate my own from scratch?

Thanks,

Don Ziesig