[Lazarus] Ok I give up!

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:57:20 CET 2013

On 5-3-2013 13:45, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

> Am 2013-03-05 13:29, schrieb appjaws:
>> Is F1 the only way to access the integrated help?
>>
>> Why is this so difficult? Why isn't it automatically installed
>> when Lazarus is installed?
>>
>> Any other ideas? regards frustrated Paul
>>
> Yes, I feel the same. I used TurboPascal and Delphi over decades and
> there was no hassle with installing/copying/configuring the help.
> This should be part of the installation routine (even snapshots).
>
> But it seems that those who have the knowledge to change this are not
> willing to do so and those who are willing don't have the knowledge.

Please don't post this kind of stuff. Instead help make Lazarus better
by raising bug reports with concrete issues and preferably patches.

On Windows, the installer just *works* and gives you help out of the
box, since about Laz 1.0.
No idea about Linux as I don't use the package manager versions.

With Mattias' help I just submitted a patch today to add an (offline)
help menu item to show the built-in(!) chm help, and helped streamline
the wiki article on help.

If you don't like the installer/package manager way, try running fpcup
which Ludo Brands and I wrote to get and install FPC 2.6.x/trunk and
Lazarus 1.x...trunk as well as documentation.

You might see why I personnally not very impressed with your message;
from a Lazarus project perspective I think meaningful bug reports
(including Paul's very comprehensive posts about what's going on with
his system) and patches count for a lot more than complaining.

Thanks,
Reinier