[Lazarus] XanaNews port to Lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 21:57:46 CET 2013

On 2013-03-05 20:41, Misha Padalka wrote:

> Did you tried Opera Mail (a component of Opera browser)?

Yes, the email client is nice, the NNTP client is not so nice. Some
issues with Opera NNTP client [off the top of my head]... I have to
manually mark messages as Read (I can't for the life figure out why it
doesn't do that automatically once I viewed a message), and searching a
newsgroup gave me lots of issues.

Searching is something I do often. Attachment handling is something else
I do often. Opera was fine with attachments, but that is where Mozilla
Thunderbird falls over again.

Please note... in most cases these types of programs work fine in their
email "mode", but their NNTP support seems to lag far behind. This is
why I am now looking at dedicated NNTP-only clients as well.

XanaNews has had excellent feedback, plus if I don't like something, I
should be able to fix or change it. I know Object Pascal, not Java, C,
C++ etc. I'm also trying to shy away from console based NNTP clients
(there are many of those for Linux, FreeBSD etc) because copy and paste
between my desktop and such clients normally don't work, plus their
shortcuts etc are all totally different [takes ages to relearn those],
compared to GUI applications (which seem more standardised).

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/