[Lazarus] Free-pascal question

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 7 10:59:59 CET 2013

Am 07.03.2013 10:45, schrieb Chavoux Luyt:
> 1. How good is Lazarus/fpc for embedded programming (compared to C)?
> It will probably be on a (custom-made) device with ARM/Atmel-based
> chipset (with or without an OS - will this make a difference?).
I can't tell you how good or bad it is, but there are quite some boards
supported already by FPC. You can take a look here for the current list:
http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/rtl/embedded/arm/
> 2. I remember that the original Turbo Pascal (and Delphi) could use
> in-line (i386) assembler. Is this still possible with
> Lazarus/free-pascal and for other chipsets like Atmel/ARM?
FPC supports inline assembly for each supported target except the JVM
ones. Of course you need to write in the correct assembly language for
each CPU (and maybe differentiate with {$ifdef CPUXYZ} if you want to
support multiple processors).

As a sidenote: For pure Pascal development (and I consider embedded
development part of this) I suggest you to use the fpc-pascal list in
the future.

Regards,
Sven