[Lazarus] data matrix with thousands of columns

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 12:48:11 CET 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 03/27/2013 10:24 AM, Andrea Mauri wrote:
>>  but I am inhabited to not put all the data in memory, maybe I need to
>> change my mind. Is it an option to not store on files but to take
>> everything in memory and let app and os to perform the dirty work?
>
> That is the main reason why 64 Bit has been introduced: decently
> handling a huge amount of linearly addressed memory (real and virtual).

Although I'm worried about the extent to which OS vendors etc. might
assume that "nobody really needs 64 bit addresses" and partition off
large chunks for their own use (ditto with 128-bit IP6 addresses)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:China_imperialism_cartoon.jpg

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk