[Lazarus] TextHeight in Console App

Edilson Vieira vieira.edilson at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:23:14 CEST 2013

2013/5/15 Flávio Etrusco <flavio.etrusco at gmail.com>

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Edilson Vieira
> <vieira.edilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> thus:
> >>>
> >> Not all Targets an application might be intended to run on do provide a
> >> (supported) GUI API.
> >

> > In the case I described it should be really a console App because there
> is
> > no need of user interaction. So if I need to make a GUI App it would be
> > waste of resource on the server.
> >
> > I really do not understand why I can not make a console App that uses the
> > Graphics unit because in Delphi there is no problem on that.
>
> The "waste" is probably negligible in most situations, since using CGI
> is a waste in itself (not to mention running Windows).

"Negligible" in one program execution maybe. But it makes difference when
many executions and many programs take place. Beyond that, this is not a
good programming practice.
But yes, I am considering this solution (a GUI App). I will have to make
some performance tests to see it will be possible.

About running Windows, in this case, it is not my choice.

Using Graphics in Delphi will incur (cause) the same kind of overhead
> as using LCL/Interfaces in a Lazarus app.

(If you compile a Delphi application with no VCL dependencies you'll
> notice the big difference in executable size)

I really do not know how to do it in Delphi without the Graphics unit.
Beyond that the program is up and running.

My point here is to port or not from Delphi do Lazarus. I have other
applications to consider also.

Best regards,

Edilson.