[Lazarus] porting delphi project code

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Wed May 15 20:38:48 CEST 2013

On 15/05/2013 19:19, waldo kitty wrote:

> can someone please give me the steps, in simple layman's terms, that are
> needed to convert a delphi project or application code to Lazarus/FPC? i
> have never run delphi and have not the first clue other than there is
> some sort of convertor available... where it is and how to use it are
> completely unknown to myself...

Open the Lazarus IDE and you'll see the Tools menu has four conversion
menu options relating to Delphi. Looks like you want the second Delphi
conversion option:
Convert Delphi project to Lazarus project...
For simple projects the converter works well if you just accept all the
defaults the wizard provides.
Your Delphi code is saved unchanged, and the new Lazarus project ends up
in a new directory with appropriate new .lpi, .lpr and .lfm files, .pas
files adapted to use the LCL and probably substitutions for some Delphi
components with their (approximately) equivalent LCL counterparts.