[Lazarus] TextHeight in Console App

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu May 16 12:45:56 CEST 2013

On 05/16/2013 10:54 AM, Flávio Etrusco wrote:
> IMHO YHO makes sense ;-) Is it a design decision that "NoGUI does not
> do much more than satisfy some open externals when linking a Lazarus
> based project" or is it just lack of manpower?
In fact I once invested the better part of two weeks in trying to
implement an "active NoGUI" WidgetType based on the means the
(WidgetType implementations in the) LCL library provide and with a close
look to the (working) implementation the mse RTL provides.

I failed, due to the very complex and obviously historically grown
design of the LCL and the RTL (here there is no decent common code base
for the work-alike stuff that is necessary in the different WidgetTypes
and in the RTL (such as message queues) ). I finally decided that the
only worthwhile effort would include a redesign of all WidgetType
implementations and of the RTL in a way that a central object-based
interface for the message queue(s) is provided in the RTL and used by
all (existing and future) WidgetType implementations. This of course
can't be done by my poor ignorant self, but needs the central "powers"
as well in the fpc as in the Lazarus crews.

Thus (as I at that time was just doing a research and was not on the
verge of actually doing a project on that behalf) I gave up. And right
now the direction of the stuff I intended to design using Lazarus
drastically changed and I don't use Lazarus at all (but ANSI C) for
"custom" projects any more. I merely can provide some research results
and testing programs, if asked for.

-Michael