[Lazarus] Database and installation

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 14:04:01 CET 2013

On 19/11/2013 13:49, Chavoux Luyt wrote:
> I have also written desktop Delphi programs using Paradox as database
> and InstallShield as the installer before, which worked very well for
> distributing programs on CD (or DVD). What would be the best Lazarus
> equivalent for this purpose? I.e. a program with a pre-existing,
> populated database that can be distributed on (and installed from) a
> CD or DVD by users.
Firebird embedded db file on cd (you need to set the read only flag
inside the Firebird db, otherwise FB will try to use the file for some
temporary storage. Don't know if that still is required with recent
versions). Works fine on Windows; currently figuring out how to get FB
embedded+FPC going on Linux, OSX.

Sqlite may also work; haven't tried it read-only/on read-only media.