[Lazarus] Exception in CreateForm after conversion from Delphi

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 14:16:10 CET 2013

2013/11/22 Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Frederic Da Vitoria
> <davitofrg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... with Lazarus, so I don't know how and why it searched there.
>
> Ok, this is the fundamental cause of your problems.
> The converter searches for unit files from project's sibling
> directories, meaning the directories that are below its parent dir.
> Don't place copies of the same project there.
> This is a useful feature because many projects include their libraries
> there and they are found automatically.
>
> Test again without those copied dirs and let me know what happens.

Sorry to disappoint your hopes, but after copying the Delphi sources to
c:\temp\lazarus_test_memo (no, temp does not contain any other pascal
sources, and C: only contains the fpc/lazarus binaries in different
subdirectories), I get the same results: issue with .res file and after
commenting out the $R *.res directive, running the application triggers an
exception.

... and this time I managed to upload the source successfully :-P

> I had at one point a problem with the dfm files: the project wouldn't
> > compile because they were binary.
>
> The converter is able to convert from old binary DFM to text LFM. It
> should not cause problems.

As I explained, I suppose that for some reason, the LFM files were not
created that time. I can't be sure because the directory where this
happened has been emptied and recreated numerous times since, but this is
the best explanation I can suggest. So this LFM problem would be a sporadic
and probably unrelated issue. I only mentioned it because my supposition
could be wrong and maybe telling this could help you find where the main
problem comes from.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)