[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 28 22:11:51 CET 2013

Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:

> If you're designing a headless system like a NAS, then the terminal type
> that you can rely on people having is pretty limited: an HTML browser or
> a VT-100 terminal (including telnet).

ACK

> Once you're talking about an app that runs on the desktop or handheld
> system then the rules are completely different. Perhaps we can make a
> difference by constantly reminding people that it's still possible to
> write portable apps for that environment, and that there can be
> significant performance advantages doing so.

As long as this model is based on a (more or less) portable widgetset, I
see no real difference vs. an browser (HTML) widgetset. What may make
things complicated are LCL assumptions about nested widgets and layout
management, which may be unavailable or different in a browser and HTML
documents.

DoDi