[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Nov 29 10:36:47 CET 2013

On 11/28/2013 05:40 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> If you're designing a headless system like a NAS, then the terminal
> type that you can rely on people having is pretty limited: an HTML
> browser or a VT-100 terminal (including telnet). A significant
> advantage of this approach is that with care it can be designed to do
> something sensible even if the client can't or won't run Javascript or
> Java, other alternatives such as a desktop app served by VNC fail
> dismally by comparison.

The old version of the QNAP box hat a standard HTML-interface (pure HTML
widgets, thus simple CGI stuff).

With the new version they converted to a "remote GUI" in the browser
(thus the functionality is within the box, while the remote GUI
implementation is completely independent from the functionality).

I do suppose they did this for a reason :-) .

In fact the remote GUI implementation uses a huge java script library
that the browser pulls when starting the work on that page.

-Michael