[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Andrew Brunner atbrunner at aurawin.com
Fri Nov 29 14:46:30 CET 2013

On 11/29/2013 03:28 AM, Michael Schnell wrote:
> "Responsiveness" (the program reacts to user input) is not the problem
> I meant to describe but the ability of the program to issue "state"
> messages spontaneously.  This is hampered by the missing symmetry of
> the http protocol: The client needs to poll for such "reverse" messages.

I wanted to make 2 points here...
     1.) This can be mitigated with existing HTTP protocol if you have
control over the server.   For instance, with Aurawin SCS if a request
comes in with access to the "core" I set a flag in the sockets engine
that says keep this socket stream infinitely open. This way HTTPS
re-negotiation is a thing of the past, and requests are instant.
     2.) Your web browser is key here.  Chrome keeps socket sessions
cached.  So more often than not there already is a connection made.
Meaning in the JS code, if you say XMLHTTPRequest(/server/core/command)
it just creates a string and sends it to the server.  That
XMLHTTPRequest does not imply a new HTTP connection.

> This can partly be improved by techniques like "comet" that leave a
> http protocol open in a somewhat "non-standard" way. But AFAIK, this
> does result in certain problems.

"Non-standard" is a subjective term.  However, there is presently
WebSockets that standardizes HTML5 event driven socket communication to
exactly address this entire point.

--
Andrew Brunner

Aurawin LLC
512.850.3117
https://aurawin.com/

Aurawin is a great new way to store, share and enjoy your photos, videos, music, and more.