[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Dariusz Mazur darekm at emadar.com
Fri Nov 29 23:41:59 CET 2013

On 2013-11-29 11:01, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 10:29 PM, Santi wrote:
>> I don't want to use Lazarus because it is the last defender of
>> "Native controls" against the evil "web-controls". I want to use
>> Lazarus because I want to use a powerful language like Pascal in the
>> backend and a framework with a RAD that allows me write GUI
>> interfaces quickly.
>
> Yep.
>
> Because it wants to provide RAD, the LCL GUI designer is one of the
> most easy to use GUI designers. I once failed on trying to find an
> "active" web page designer tool that comes anywhere close regarding
> user friendliness.

RAD is only small addition. I use Delphi from several years and don't
use RAD (design forms by mouse). And many professional developers drop
RAD and made forms in code.

> Thus for me a "Web GUI" LCL Widget type makes a huge lot of sense
> (even if the count and features of the widgets  usable in this mode is
> restricted vs the "local" widgets.

Some times (and increasingly) they are much powerful: 3d look,
textures,  animated, structural hints etc.

> In fact it should be possible to switch between "Web GUI" and "local
> GUI" just by setting the Widget type variable.

This is background
> Decent messages for stuff that does not work on the WebGUI appreciated.

I think that 99.9% code may work on proper WebGUI
This is then same like switch form Intel to ARM or to x64. When
library/compiler developers take care, rest can no/small  worry about it.

Darek