[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 30 13:38:58 CET 2013

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013, Santiago Amposta wrote:
>>

>>> The solution to this problem is quite easy, and it is what many web-GUI
>>> interfaces do: Move part of program to the client side, so they send big
>>> javascripts to the client. No objection, I don't think it's a big deal
>>> to send javascript libraries to the client, as long as it is transparent
>>> for me as developer. What I intend to avoid, when I write an
>>> application, is having to write half application in pascal and half
>>> application using javascript. I want to write the whole application in
>>> pascal and let the libraries use javascript or whatever they want.
>>>
>>> Probably I'm demanding too much, there is no way a component can say "I
>>> will convert this few lines of code into a javascript and send it to the
>>> client"
>>

>> That is exactly my plan:
>>
>> 1. Convert pascal to javascript.
>> 2. Use the custom widget design capabilities of Lazarus to design the form.
>>
>> Just like Morfik does/did, and recently Smart Mobile studio.
>>
>> But only in Lazarus :)
>
> As ExtPascal?

No.

Extpascal does wat mseide does. Transport everything back to the server.
That is completely the wrong approach. Not scalable at all.
Slow, not guaranteed to have a return etc. In short: wrong.

I want to program the browser itself. In Pascal.

It has been done before (Morfik), it is being done as we speak (Smart Mobile studio),
only not by Lazarus/FPC. All the big blocks are in place, my next step is the translation
of Object Pascal to Javascript. There are obviously some inherent limitations due to
the browser environment (pointers and such) but this is not a real problem.

Michael.