[Lazarus] The future of desktop

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 14:04:26 CET 2013

2013/11/30 Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>

> [...]
> I want to program the browser itself. In Pascal.

Hello Michael,

Why not use an existing webkit (like Qt or Chrome) and incorporate it into
Lazarus? That would leave the responsibility for compatibility with HTML5,
CSS3, mp3 encode, webGL, file manipulation, , support for cross-platform
etc. for the webkit.

Please see this nice project:

https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit

It uses a embedded Qt webkit version, and is very easy to use. E.g.:
-------
Quick Start

Create index.html:

<!DOCTYPE html><html>
  <head>
    <title>Hello World!</title>
  </head>
    <h1>Hello World!</h1>
    We are using node.js <script>document.write(process.version)</script>.

Create package.json:

{
  "name": "nw-demo",
  "main": "index.html"}

Compress index.html and package.json into a zip archive called app.nw:

$ zip app.nw index.html package.json

This should create a structure like this:

app.nw
|-- package.json
`-- index.html

Download the prebuilt binary for your platform and use it to open the app.nw
 file:

$ ./nw app.nw

Note: on Windows, you can drag the app.nw to nw.exe to open it.
-------

It tested it in my Windows and worked like a charm:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx489n2oxruvf45/nwk.png

Adopting a webkit, we would gain a long time, because it already has all
hard implementation that a browser needs to work.

[...]

--
Silvio Clécio