[Lazarus] Loading photos on a form

Chris Kelling kellingc at cox.net
Mon Oct 7 07:22:50 CEST 2013

Hello, list - I am writing a membership roster manager and want to include
the member's photo and a copy of their license.  Using graphics, photos in
particular, is new territory for me.  I've looked at a couple of resources
for both Delphi and Lazarus, but am confused on what control to use (timage,
tbitmap, something else)and what are the steps to get the image to that
control?  From what I've gathered so far, it's something like this:

Load from a file using a tpicture object

Use that information and assign it to an timage object's canvas

Free the tpicture object

I'm looking to use jpeg and png types at a minimum.

Thanks,

Chris